Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Not Your Typical Post...






Every Shabbat dinner my family had when I was a child was identical to the one prior. My mother's pots would clang over the Israeli music coming from our old, oversized silver casette player, the one with the counter my mother used for when she recorded my sister and I practicing the piano. My family, immediate or extended, is by no means boring, monotonous or mundane. We are lounder, more boisterous and a bit more sarcastic than your average tree of kin. But like all families, there are a handful of things which mine does exceptionally well (of course there are a few that we do extraordinarily poorly as well), but for these few works of art we've never attempted improvement. Friday night sabbath is one of the better in our repetoir, holidays in general we excel at, but friday night dinners stands out as exceptional. It's by no means because my family is perfect, we are far from that finish line, but we love and we love well. That is one thing this slightly irregular, haphazard family of mine knows, love-big gooey gumball drop sized pieces of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment